I’ve found that some (most) of the best discoveries come from just that: DISCOVERY! I discovered all of the food, or lack thereof, in my pantry this morning, when I was absolutely craving something gluten- and dairy-free of the baked good variety.
I peered into my tiny little drawer that constitutes my portion of the pantry, and found the following:
In case your eyes can’t read labels that are the size of atoms, here is what I had to work with:
-Gluten-free Oat Flour
-Pure Rice Bran
-Pure Vanilla Extract
…and that’s it. (minus some sea salt I found after taking this picture)
Want to know the funny part? These simple ingredients turned into one of the best spice/coffee cakes I have ever tasted, and it is completely gluten-, dairy-, nut-, soy-, egg-, and binding agent-free.
Somehow at 7:30 in the morning, I was able to muster up the discipline to write down the measurements of what I did, so, here you go!
Simplify your cake:
1/2 cup pure rice bran (I use Ener-G brand)
1/2 cup cold water
3/4 cup + 1/2 tbs (for dusting) gluten-free oat flour (Bob’s Red Mill does the trick)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
large pinch sea salt
1/3 cup honey*
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp. pure vanilla
Preparation time: 8 minutes
Cook time: 30-35 minutes
Yields one gooey, delicious, Bubble Child honey cake!
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium bowl, stir together rice bran and cold water. Let sit five minutes.
- Meanwhile, in separate, small bowl, combine oat flour, cinnamon, and sea salt with a fork.
- After bran and water have set, mix in honey, then olive oil and vanilla. After all liquids are combined, gradually stir in dry ingredients, until completely combined. Batter will be liquid-like.
- Oil and flour (1/2 tbs. oat flour) a small tart baking dish (about 5” in diameter), and pour in batter. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until center is not wiggly.
Cake will appear very moist, and that is why it will taste so good! Let cool before serving. Store covered for up to three days before either finishing or storing in the freezer. Note to self: don’t even start to pretend it will last that long.
*for Vegan, use agave nectar.
Bubble Child benefits: