A trip to the East Village’s Whole Earth Bakery and Kitchen sent me into full fire desire for another dairy-free cheesecake.
After stuffing my face with a slice of the GF, dairy-free blueberry vanilla cheesecake, I then proceeded to eat half of my little brother’s chocolate slice. I knew this was a problem.
Thus? I made my own. My wallet, and little brother, are a lot happier this way.
Inspiration: Soy Glad I Can Eat This Cheesecake
Bubble Child benefits: gluten- and dairy-free; Everybody’s benefits: low in saturated fat, calories, and sugar. No high-fructose corn-syrup or crazy artificial anything! Yaaaaaay.
1 3/4 cups finely crushed graham crackers*
1/4 cup flax seed
1/4 cup non-dairy, non-hydrogenated margarine, melted
1/4 tsp. almond extract**
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3 8 oz. packages non-dairy (soy) cream cheese
3 eggs, beaten
12 oz. non-dairy sour cream
1 cup sugar***
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. pure almond extract**
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45-50 minutes
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Make crust, by combining crushed graham crackers and flax in large bowl. In separate small bowl, combine melted margarine, extracts, and cinnamon. Pour margarine mixture over graham cracker mixture and combine until completely coated.
3. Pour crust mixture into a spring-form pan, and press flat with a spatula. Set aside.
4. Prepare the filling! Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese and eggs at medium speed, until well-combined (about 1-2 minutes). Add sour cream, and beat on low speed for one minute. Slowly add in sugar, salt, and extracts. Beat at low speed, until completely blended.
5. Pour filling over crust, and pop in oven.
6. Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit, then reduce heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and cook for 35-40 minutes, or until center is firm.
7. Chill for at least 3 hours before serving.
* For a GLUTEN-FREE version, use non-dairy, gluten-free graham crackers/vanilla cookies instead!
** For a NUT-FREE version, use vanilla extract instead!
***Replace sugar with 1/4 cup agave nectar for severe sugar sensitivities!