While life is pretty darn good, and New York was simply stunning out today, there are some days that just, well, stink due to unforeseen circumstances. Today, I got a piece of bad news, which brought down the rays of sunshine that lighted my morning.
When life gives you lemons? Ask for gluten-free flour, chocolate powder, hemp ice cream, and dairy-free butter, and make yourself a gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free ice cream sandwich.
Whether it be the yummy food, the simple and meditative process of baking for yourself, or simply taking some time for me, I have to say that I feel much better. It’s night, but it feels like the sunshine came back in.
Yes, these ice cream sandwiches are that good! Or I am just that obsessed with food.
Either way, check out what your taste buds have been missing this summer, and I hope it brings a little smile to your Bubble Child face the way it did to mine:
Gluten, dairy, corn, and nut-free
¼ cup Earth Balance buttery stick (1 stick), softened
1/3 cup agave nectar
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
¾ cup gluten-free oat flour
¼ cup brown rice flour
2 tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. xantham gum
Ice cream interior
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10-12 minutes
Yields 6 ice cream sandwiches
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, combine Earth Balance and agave nectar. Mix in egg and vanilla.
- In a separate small bowl, combine oat and rice flour. Mix in cocoa powder, baking soda, xantham gum, and salt until evenly combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, combine thoroughly, and then separate into 12 balls.
- On a lightly greased baking sheet, evenly spread out the balls, and press flat. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the center is not gooey.
- Remove from oven, and let cool for at least 5 minutes so that it doesn’t melt the ice cream too much. Scoop as much ice cream as your heart desires on top of one cookie (I use about 2 tbs. per cookie!) and top with another.