Leave it to us Americans to combine all of the goodness that is bacon, avocado, salty cheese, tomatoes, and creamy dressing in one delectable salad with the simple name of: Cobb. The Cobb salad is a pure, filling delight of a dish, but poses unsuspecting threats to us Bubble Children:
-gluten in both the dressing and the bacon (completely unnecessary for the rudimentary essentials of the ingredients, but both frequently see some wheat additives in them)
-dairy in the blue cheese and dressing
-egg as an ingredient in either the dressing or hard-boiled with the salad
I experimented with this flavorful green dish this afternoon, and was able to combine the flavor of garlic, the saltiness of the bacon and sea salt, and kick of dijon mustard and avocado to recreate and make more friendly the traditional Cobb Salad.
Enjoy that savory bacon, creamy dressing, gooey toppings, and satisfying saltiness without the gluten, dairy, (or even egg) if need be!
For the salad:
12 strips turkey bacon (make sure it is gluten-free)
4 eggs (or 1/2 cup tofu, diced)
2 tomatoes, diced
2 avocados, sliced length-wise
4 cups mixed baby greens
For the dressing:
4 tbs. olive oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
4 scallions (green onions), thinly sliced
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
2 tsp. dijon mustard
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
pepper to taste
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10-12 minutes
- Boil water in a medium-sized pot to hard-boil the eggs. (Omit this step if you are simply using diced tofu.) Place eggs in boiling water, and cook for 10 minutes, while preparing the rest of the food.
- In a large saucepan, cook turkey bacon over medium heat. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side, or until browned and sizzling.
- While turkey bacon is cooking, prepare the dressing! Heat 4 tbs. olive oil over medium-low heat, and then saute’ minced garlic for 5 minutes. Add scallions, cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in sea salt, and immediately remove from heat. Set aside.
- Once eggs and bacon are cooked, remove from heat. Begin to prepare the dressing, by mixing the olive oil, garlic, and scallion mixture with the mustard, apple cider vinegar, and pepper in a small bowl with a fork.
- Prepare the salad. Divide the mixed greens into four separate bowls. Evenly distribute half of the salad dressing amongst the four bowls, and toss greens and dressing until coated. Then distribute avocado and tomatoes evenly between the four bowls. Peel the eggs (if not using tofu), slice thinly, and top one section of the salad. Finally, chop the bacon into small pieces, and divide evenly between the salads. Top with the rest of the dressing, pepper to taste, and you’ve got yourself a creamy, allergy-friendly Cobb Salad.