There is nothing like Devil’s Food Cake to cure that chocolate craving. It’s the weekend, so consider that your excuse to whip up some cupcakes, or frosted-cake delight. (Who said birthdays were the only days that required cake!)
This Devil’s Food Cake is so moist due to the preparation of the cocoa and the utilization of the homemade flax seed milk, and so sweet with the sugar or agave, sorghum flour, and vanilla. While it can stand alone, the hemp seed frosting really IS the icing on the cake. One bite of this cake and you’ll have trouble putting down that fork.
Who said you had to have the cake and eat it, too? I simply want to eat this one.
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 cup boiling water
1 cup sorghum flour
1 cup rice flour
1 tsp. xantham gum
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 cup homemade flax seed milk*
1 cup sugar**
2 large eggs***
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 18-20 minutes
Yields about 18 cupcakes or 1 cake
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line cupcake pan with cupcake papers, or spray 9” cake pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In small bowl, combine cocoa and bowling water. Stir until well blended. Set aside until lukewarm.
- In small bowl, combine sorghum and rice flours, xantham gum, baking soda, and sea salt.
- In medium bowl, combine flax seed milk* and sugar** with a mixer (or a very fast whisk by hand) until well blended. Whisk in eggs*** one at a time, then stir in vanilla. Add flour mixture, and combine until all white chunks disappear. Do not overmix.
- For cake, simply pour batter into greased pan and bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. For cupcakes, add about 1/3 cup of batter into cupcake pans (should be about 3/4 full) and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool, and top with favorite fruit preserves or gluten-free frosting. (Might I recommend Bubble Child Hemp Seed Frosting recipe.)
*See Homemade Flax Seed Milk. If allergic to seeds, or are in a pinch, use unsalted butter or Earth Balance butter stick, softened.
**For sugar sensitivities, use 1/2 cup agave nectar, instead.
***For Egg Bubble, soak 2 tbs. flax seed meal in 4 tbs. warm water for 5 minutes. Use at egg substitute.
1/2 cup distilled water
1/2 cup hemp seeds
1 tbs. agave nectar
1/2 tbs. vanilla
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Yields about 2 1/2 cups hemp seed frosting
- Bring water to boiling. Stir in hemp seeds, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until all of the water is absorbed, stirring about once every minute.
- Remove from heat, and immediately pour into blender. Blend on high for about 3 minutes, or until almost creamy. Add in agave nectar and vanilla, and pulse until creamy.
- Spoon into large mixing bowl, and gradually mix in powdered sugar by the 1/4 cup over low speed.
This cake is so good it’ll have you wondering what in the devil’s name you were doing not eating it before!