1. As someone with a deadly nut allergy and gluten-intolerance, it is next to impossible to find anything that goes beyond puffed rice to function as that crunchy, jovial bliss of sweetness to top my yogurt with.
2. If, by some miraculous incidence of stopping by, let’s say, Whole Foods, I do encounter a gluten and nut-free variety, it is probably going to cost me upwards of $9 for a puny bag, $6 low-end. Not. Worth. It.
Good news, folks, GRANOLA IS REALLY EASY TO MAKE! And to customize to your personal taste buds.
This isn’t just a pretty picture: it’s my gluten and nut-free granola jazzed up for the “Bubble Child” cook book’s photo shoot (to come soon!!).
Detox from those holidays with something healthy that both your sensorial organs and stomach’s movements will thank you for!
Vegan, gluten, nut, soy and corn-free
2 cups puffed rice
3 cups gluten-free oatmeal
1/2 cup flaxseed (whole)
1/4 cup sesame seeds
3/4 cup hemp seeds
1/4 cup grapeseed, canola, or safflower oil
1/4 cup apple juice
1/4 cup molasses
1/3 brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt
dried fruit of choice (optional!)
+non-stick cooking spray or 1 tbs. non-hydrogenated shortening for greasing the pan
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 35-40 minutes
Yields about 12 servings.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 300 degrees Farenheit. Very lightly grease large roasting pan with non-stick cooking spray or non-hydrogenated shortening to reduce sticking.
2. Combine puffed rice, oatmeal, and seeds in large mixing bowl. Set aside.
3. In small saucepan, combine the oil, apple juice, molasses, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt over medium-low heat, until bubbles start to form and mixture gets syrup-y. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Drizzle syrup over the combined grains, and mix with a spoon until well-coated. (if you want to add dried fruit, now is the chance!)
5. Transfer into roasting pan, and flatten with spoon.
6. Bake in oven for 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown. Do not overcook… not as tasty burnt!
7. Remove from oven, let cool completely.
8. Break into small pieces, and either consume immediately, or store in air-tight container.