The Greek mathematician and philosopher Pythagoras forbade the eating of beans, as he decreed that the legumes contained something of which the soul was composed. I think he might have been exaggerating just a tad, but I can understand his enthusiasm for the magical fruit.
Tonight I had a simple rather bistro style dinner of gluten-free toasts and seasonal French cheese (easier to digest as it’s raw) and some leftover fava beans that I made into a sort of spread and topped with basil and mushrooms. It was awesome. And I didn’t feel like popping afterwards.
What’s so good about beans? Mr. Laertius may have been right about them being something exceptional, but here is the tip of the ice berg of reasons why they should not be banned from your regime:
1. Beans are a huge source of fiber. Yes, yes, that’s why they are also the “magical fruit”, but if you want to pass things that are not magical in your body, tally ho.
2. Beans have a low glycemic index. Composed of complex sugars, these carbohydrates take time for your body to break down, but are easier to process. This makes you stay full longer, reducing cravings, while providing a natural source of sugar your body readily uses, not stores.
3. Beans are full of protein. In combination with rice, they make a complete amino acid, which is the protein found in meat that most vegans or vegetarians are missing from their diet of they don’t work for it.
4. Beans are full of vitamins and minerals. Another problem vegetarians might find, or anyone really, is a low level of iron. Beans have a lot of this– as well as copper, magnesium, folate, and vitamin B6, which is a vitamin that is reduced if you’re drinking booze, so if you’re making some parties, jump on board with the beans to get your energy back up!
5. They taste awesome when cooked from their dry form with a bit of thyme and a bay leaf, and then are sautéed with onions, garlic, ginger, turmeric, cumin, a touch soy sauce, and some oregano afterwards. Oh yeah.
…and they’re also gluten-free. (since you find them on this blog, you can imagine they would be!)